Week 1: Course Outline
Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://mkpusa.zoom.us/j/91569892142?pwd=SDE2UEJyaEplRDFzUjJOcWFqaGFpdz09
(you will need to download the Zoom App)
Or Telephone: Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location): US: +1 669 900 6833 or +1 646 558 8656
Meeting ID: 915 6989 2142 Passcode: 869636
- Confidentiality – What I say here is confidential. Outside this circle, I will not share another man’s words, actions, or identity. I will only speak of my own experience and personal insights. Assume that there are mandated reporters in attendance who have a legal responsibility to report cases of abuse or potential abuse.
- Punctuality – The group will begin on time and end on time. If I arrive late, I will not interrupt the flow of the group.
- Ethical Relationships – This is not a business group. No solicitations.
- Non-Violence – Violence can be physical, verbal, emotional, or spiritual. I acknowledge that my words and actions have an impact on those around me. I take responsibility for my words and actions.
- No Drugs or Alcohol – I will not attend the group while under the influence of alcohol or recreational drugs. If I break this agreement I will tell the group and accept the choice of the group in handling this to create a safe space for the men present.
- Participation – I will speak openly and truthfully in “I” statements (not “you” or “he” statements). Any man may pass at any time. Any man may STOP a process (especially in the service of maintaining safety). I am not here to give advice. If I want advice, I will ask for it specifically. I will ask permission before offering feedback. I am responsible for taking care of myself. If I need something, I will ask for it. If I have questions, I will ask
What we believe
- (2 min) Context: We (MKP) believe … The members of MKP who offer this Open Men’s Circle do so because we believe in men… and we care about our families, our communities and our planet, We’re men gathering here to … practice.
Check In First Round
- 30 second … introduction … Name / City / How do you Identify / 2 Facts about you. (could be … how did you get here.)
What We Practice and Why
- Emotional Authenticity – Because we believe in honesty and wholeness, we practice emotional intelligence and self-awareness.
- Personal Responsibility – Because we value integrity and accountability … we take 100% responsibility for our feelings, and we own the impacts – both positive and negative – both intended and unintended – of our choices and actions.
- Leadership Mastery – Because we believe that role models change lives … we practice highly principled personal, interpersonal, and group leadership.
- Empowered Mission – Because we value generosity, service, and connection to spirit … we explore and live from our deepest purpose.
- Supportive Community – Because we care for ourselves and the generations to come … we create a place for men from all walks of life to learn and teach in a safe, respectful, challenging, and inclusive peer-network.
IN THE CHAT ROOM, WHICH ONE OF THESE RESONATES WITH YOU THE MOST? HOW DOES THAT IMPACT YOUR FAMILY? YOURSELF?
PUT IN CHAT, WHICH ONE OF THESE DO YOU WANT TO WORK THE MOST?
- What was it like for you to express that in this group?
- What was it like for you to express that in this group?
Check In – What in your life brings you to this space?
Leaders will model and guide the check-in
- <<< Are you committed? You’ve ALREADY taken a huge risk. You’ve already distinguished yourself as a man among men … a man ready to take action and step into adventure.
- (20 min) Checking In – the body / the heart / mind … the first time –
The question is Why Now? – Why are you here?
We often share just the surface level when we talk. Let’s try sharing deeper.
(20 min) Checking In – the body / the heart / mind … the first time
- I will role model this. Example – “What in your life brings you to this space?
- Call on the next man and ask “What in your life brings you to this space?
Wrap up. Why we’re here … why men’s work
- Deep Change and the Hero’s Journey (5 min) You can either go for what you want … or you can die a slow painful death of the soul. Men who go for what they want embark on a hero’s journey. Leaders set the context for Hero’s Journey, Deep Change, and Reclaiming a Brotherhood of men
- Reclaiming brotherhood – sitting in circle
- Authentic and real Connection – communitas through healthy and real ordeal
- Finding healthy Power – accountability and integrity
Celebration: Notice in yourself
Look what we’ve already done. Celebrate.
Leaders lead a 1 min guided body and mind scan
Notice in yourself any differences you’re feeling … about yourself? about the other men in the circle?
What insight or learning are you taking away? (30 seconds a man)
Week 1 Resources:
- Facebook Private Group – https://www.facebook.com/groups/themenswork/
- The Hero’s Journey: https://youtu.be/Hhk4N9A0oCA (5min)
- Finding Joe Movie: Learning about the Hero’s Journey https://youtu.be/s8nFACrLxr0 (1hr 20min)
- Chaim Dunbar: Where are the men? https://youtu.be/JDzuBRSFGdw (5min)
- Brené Brown: Vulnerability TED : https://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability (20min)
- Brené Brown: Shame TED : https://youtu.be/L0ifUM1DYKg (23min)
- Podcast: How Gay Men Teach the Cleansing of Shame (27 min.): https://thinkqueerly.com/vulnerability-how-gay-men-teach-the-cleansing-of-shame-d043891b4af5
Week 1 Practices:
Act your way into a new way of being for men. We expect that this is going to be a struggle … notice it without reacting to it.
TAKE ON ONE. Make a commitment.
- 5 minute sit … every day
- 5 minute journal … every day
- What am I noticing? What is present?
- 1 min cold shower … every day
- This is not about suffering or causing harm. It’s about making a change to help you wake up … to get out of the comfortable routine you may be in and see what comes up for you.
- Check out the Wim Hof method: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzCaZQqAs9I