Week 1: Course Outline
- Confidentiality – What I say here is confidential. I will join in a private manner, using headphones/earbuds or in a separate room. Outside this group, I will not share another man’s words, actions, or identity. I will only speak of my own experience and personal insights. Confidentiality is intended to create a sense of safety for each man. Confidentiality does not apply in situations of abuse or neglect of children and the elderly and/or threat to harm self or others. If someone’s life is in immediate danger, action may be required.
- Punctuality – The group will begin on time and end on time. If I arrive late, I will not interrupt the flow of the group.
- Ethical Relationships – This is not a business group. No solicitations.
- Non-Violence – Violence can be physical, verbal, emotional, or spiritual. I acknowledge that my words and actions have an impact on those around me. I take responsibility for my words and actions.
- No Drugs or Alcohol – I will not attend the group while under the influence of alcohol or recreational drugs. If I break this agreement I will tell the group and accept the choice of the group in handling this to create a safe space for the men present.
- Participation – I will speak openly and truthfully in “I” statements (not “you” or “he” statements). Any man may pass at any time. Any man may STOP a process (especially in the service of maintaining safety). I am not here to give advice. If I want advice, I will ask for it specifically. I will ask permission before offering feedback. I am responsible for taking care of myself. If I need something, I will ask for it. If I have questions, I will ask
What we believe
- (2 min) Context: We (MKP) believe … The members of MKP who offer this Open Men’s Circle do so because we believe in men… and we care about our families, our communities and our planet, We’re men gathering here to … practice.
Check In First Round
- 30 second … introduction … Name / City / 2 Facts about you. (could be … how did you get here.)
What We Practice and Why
- Emotional Authenticity – Because we believe in honesty and wholeness, we practice emotional intelligence and self-awareness.
- Personal Responsibility – Because we value integrity and accountability … we take 100% responsibility for our feelings, and we acknowledge the impacts – both positive and negative – of our choices and actions.
- Leadership Mastery – Because we believe that role models change lives … we practice highly principled personal, interpersonal, and group leadership.
- Empowered Mission – Because we value generosity, service, and connection to spirit … we explore and live from our deepest purpose.
- Supportive Community – Because we care for ourselves and the generations to come … we create a place for men from all walks of life to learn and teach in a safe, respectful, challenging, and inclusive peer-network.
- Intercultural Competency / Inclusivity
Check In – Why Now? Why Are Your Here?
Leaders will model and guide the check-in
- <<< Are you committed? You’ve ALREADY taken a huge risk. You’ve already distinguished yourself as a man among men … a man ready to take action and step into adventure.
- (20 min) Checking In – the body / the heart / mind … the first time –
The question is Why Now? – Why are you here?
We often share just the surface level when we talk. Let’s try sharing deeper.
- I will role model this. Example – “Why Am I Here?” –
- Call on the next man and ask “Why are You Here”?
Celebration: Notice in yourself
Look what we’ve already done. Celebrate.
Leaders lead a 1 min guided body and mind scan
Notice in yourself any differences you’re feeling … about yourself? about the other men in the circle?
Wrap up. Why we’re here … why men’s work
- Deep Change and the Hero’s Journey (5 min) You can either go for what you want … or you can die a slow painful death of the soul. Men who go for what they want embark on a hero’s journey. Leaders set the context for Hero’s Journey, Deep Change, and Reclaiming a Brotherhood of men
- Reclaiming brotherhood – sitting in circle
- Authentic and real Connection – communitas through healthy and real ordeal
- Finding healthy Power – accountability and integrity
Week 1 Resources:
- Facebook Private Group – https://www.facebook.com/groups/themenswork/
- The Hero’s Journey: https://youtu.be/Hhk4N9A0oCA (5min)
- Chaim Dunbar: Where are the men? https://youtu.be/JDzuBRSFGdw (5min)
- Brené Brown: Vulnerability TED : https://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability (20min)
- Brené Brown: Shame TED : https://youtu.be/L0ifUM1DYKg (23min)
If the Hero’s Journey Appeals to you – check this out:
- Finding Joe Movie: Learning about the Hero’s Journey https://youtu.be/s8nFACrLxr0 (1hr 20min)
Week 1 Practices:
Act your way into a new way of being for men. We expect that this is going to be a struggle … notice it without reacting to it.
TAKE ON ONE. Make a commitment.
- 5 minute sit … every day
- 5 minute journal … every day
- What am I noticing? What is present?
- 1 min cold shower … every day
- This is not about suffering or causing harm. It’s about making a change to help you wake up … to get out of the comfortable routine you may be in and see what comes up for you.
- Check out the Wim Hof method: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzCaZQqAs9I
What insight or learning are you taking away? (30 seconds a man)