MKP-USA Chair Position Profile
As the Chair of MKP-USA this person leads and oversees the operations and affairs of the MKP-USA Council, Executive Team, the U.S. Constituencies, as well as multiple Committees Chairmen. The Chair facilitates good governance by focusing the work of the Council and Executive Team on governing and performing its oversight role of Management. Further, the Chair builds an effective Council and Executive Team team and inspires them to set the mission and strategic direction of the organization. Along with the Council and the Vice Chair, he directs the actives of the Executive Director of the organization. The Chair is evaluated by the Council, leads and sits as a voting member of the MKP-USA Council and Executive Team, provided feedback to the Executive Director, and the work of the staff. The Chair participates in providing strategic leadership for the organization, establishing clear organizational mission, establishing long range goals & plans & policies, ensuring financial solvency, representing the organization to the community and other groups, and assisting in instituting a fair system of policies and procedures for human resource management.
Specific responsibilities include:
Leadership, Governance, and Oversight
- Works in partnership with the Executive Director and Vice Chair to create board meeting agendas that are focused on key strategic issues, and engages board members in productive and meaningful discussions, and decision-making.
- Provides leadership to the Council (and Executive Team), who sets policy and to whom the Chair and Executive Director are accountable.
- Leads Council and Executive Team meetings and is a voting member of both.
- The Chair calls special meeting if needed.
- The Chair shall be the chair of the Annual Meeting and along with the Executive Director and Vice Chair set the agenda.
- Identifies and develops board members for future leadership. Leadership succession planning is vital for the organization’s longer term sustainability.
- Attends regularly scheduled Council and Executive Team meetings, phone bridge meetings, annual meeting and significant scheduled events.
- Works in collaboration with the Council, Executive Director, Vice Chair, and other key members to identify and recruit new board members from diverse backgrounds and perspectives who have the experience and relationships to be valuable to the organization.
- Sees that the Council and Executive Team receives reports that will inform them, educate them and help them in their visioning, while ensuring they don’t need to micromanage the staff.
- Assist the Executive Director in conducting new Council and Executive Team member orientations.
- Meets with each board member individually at least once a year to help each person to discover how they can be most useful
- Participates in setting overall policy and program oversight.
- Serves as the Chief Volunteer of the organization.
- Is a partner with the Executive Director, the Vice Chair, and the Council in achieving the organization’s mission.
- Encourages Council and Executive Team’s role in strategic planning.
- Appoints the chairpersons of committees, in consultation with other Council members, and recommends who will serve on committees.
- Requires the committees to submit written reports to the board with notification of “action” items required of the board.
- Serves ex officio as a member of committees and attends their meetings as required.
- Discusses issues confronting the organization with the Executive Director, Vice Chair, and others as appropriate.
- Helps guide and mediate Council and Executive Team actions with respect to organizational priorities, governance and structure concerns.
- Reviews with the Executive Director and Vice Chair any issues of concern to the Council and Executive Team. Formally evaluates the performance of the Executive Director, Vice Chair, and informally evaluates the effectiveness of the Council, Executive Team, Committees, and staff members.
- Evaluates annually the performance of the organization in achieving its mission.
- Speaks on behalf of MKP-USA to the community and media.
- Accepts, adheres to, and supports MKP-USA’s Code of Ethics and provides an annual letter detailing any potential conflicts of interests.
- Ensures that MKP-USA adheres to the Regional Covenant with respect to administration.
- Reviews minutes and stay well-informed on the activities of the Council and Executive Team.
- Performs other responsibilities assigned by the Council and Executive Team.
Fundraising and Finance
- Understanding and communicating the mission to investors and key constituents, including making the case for support.
- As a Council and Executive Team member, approves MKP-USA’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all legal and fiduciary responsibilities.
- In collaboration with the Executive Director and the Development Director, generating substantial annual revenue and fostering MKP-USA overall financial health.
- In conjunction with the Executive Director and the Development Director, identifying, qualifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding major individual donor, corporate, and/or foundation gifts.
- Is a financial contributor to the organization and ensures that 100% of MKP-USA’s Council and Executive Team members make an annual contribution that is commensurate with their capacity.
- Monitors financial planning and financial reports.
Ideal Candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Extensive professional experience with significant executive leadership accomplishments in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector.
- Track record of building credibility in the funding community that has resulted in major gifts to a nonprofit.
- Demonstrated success as a nonprofit Council member or Council Chair.
- A commitment to and understanding of MKP-USA’s members and mission, preferably based on experience.
- Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills coupled with natural affinity for public speaking
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of MKP-USA members