MKP-USA Vice Chair Position Profile
As the Vice Chair of MKP-USA this person assists the Chair in leading and overseeing the operations and affairs of the MKP-USA Council, Executive Team, the U.S. Constituencies, as well as multiple Committees Chairmen. Further, the Vice Chair helps to build an effective Council and Executive Team team and assists them in setting the mission and strategic direction of the organization. Along with the Council and the Chair, he directs the actives of the Executive Director of the organization. The Vice Chair is evaluated by the Chair and the Council, sits as a voting member of the MKP-USA Council and Executive Team, provided feedback to the Executive Director, the Chair, and the staff. The Vice Chair, in consultation with the Chair and the Executive Director, participates in providing strategic leadership for the organization, establishing clear organizational mission, establishing long range goals & plans & policies, ensuring financial solvency, representing the organization to the community and other groups, and assisting in instituting a fair system of policies and procedures for Human Resource management.
Specific responsibilities include:
Leadership, Governance, and Oversight
- Works in partnership with the Chair and Executive Director in creating board meeting agendas that are focused on key strategic issues, and which engage board members in productive and meaningful discussions, and decision-making.
- Provides leadership to the Council and Executive Team, who sets policy and to whom the Chair and Executive Director are accountable.
- Leads Council and Executive Team meetings in the absence of or when directed by the Chair and is a voting member of both.
- Works with the Chair and Executive Director to establish the agenda for the Annual Meeting.
- Identifies and develops board members for future leadership.
- Attends regularly scheduled Council and Executive Team meetings, phone bridges, annual meetings and significant scheduled events.
- Works in collaboration with the Council, Executive Director, Chair, and other key members to identify and recruit new board members from diverse backgrounds and perspectives who have the experience and relationships to be valuable to the organization.
- Works with the Chair and Executive Director to provide the Council and Executive Team with reports that will inform them, educate them and help them in their visioning.
- Assists the Chair and the Executive Director in conducting new Council and Executive Team member orientations.
- Participates in setting overall policy and program oversight.
- Is a partner with the Executive Director, the Chair, and the Council in achieving the organization’s mission.
- Encourages Council and Executive Team’s participation in strategic planning.
- Makes recommendation to the Chair of possible candidates for committees.
- Serves ex officio as a member of committees and attends their meetings as required.
- Discusses issues confronting the organization with the Executive Director, Chair, and others as appropriate.
- Helps guide and mediate Council and Executive Team actions with respect to organizational priorities, governance, and structure concerns.
- Reviews with the Executive Director and Chair any issues of concern to the Council and Executive Team. Formally evaluates the performance of the Executive Director and the Chair, and informally evaluates the effectiveness of the Council, Executive Team, Committees, and staff members.
- In the absence of the Chair and Executive Director, speaks on behalf of MKP-USA to the community and media.
- Accepts, adheres to, and supports MKP-USA’s Code of Ethics and provides an annual letter detailing any potential conflicts of interests.
- Along with the Chair, ensures that MKP-USA adheres to the Regional Covenant with respect to administration.
- Reviews minutes and financial reports and stays well-informed on the activities of the Council and Executive Team.
- Performs other responsibilities assigned by the Council and Executive Team and the Chair.
Fundraising and Finance
- Assists in communicating the mission to investors and key constituents, including making the case for support.
- As a Council and Executive Team member, approves MKP-USA’s annual budgets.
- Is a financial contributor to the organization and assists the Chair in ensuring that 100% of MKP-USA’s Council and Executive Team members make an annual contribution that is commensurate with their capacity.
- Monitors financial planning and financial reports.
Ideal Candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Extensive professional experience with significant executive leadership accomplishments in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector.
- Demonstrated success in leadership roles.
- A commitment to and understanding of MKP-USA’s members and mission, preferably based on experience.
- Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills coupled with a natural affinity for public speaking
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of MKP-USA members